Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. Tagore

Friday, December 21, 2012

We're Still Here and I'm Thankful to Have More Time to Pay Attention to the Beauty (Mostly Trees Today) that Surrounds

This is today's weather; rainy and cold.



Thursday Photos
I credit retirement, aging and a camera that I enjoy the journey as much or more as arriving at the destination.  Yesterday the destination was a grocery store at 17th and Capitol (6 blocks from home).  All I did when I got there was buy a few groceries.  But look what I observed on my walk to and from. 

This ever blooming bush that has held on to it's flowers, storm after storm, is still putting out new buds.

I've lived in California since July 17, 1957 and so for all these years have lived around oleanders.  They were/are planted in the median on Hwy. 99.  This one is on the block where I live, so I've been seeing it for 11+ years. 
Yesterday was the first time I noticed that it develops this fuzzy pod in late fall.  Am I seeing with new eyes?

We make much over snowflakes and finger prints; no two are alike.
It's my observation that in nature, No Two of Anything is alike.
I've been especially mindful of that as I photograph the fallen leaves.
Color, shape, size, veining...all unique.

 Expressions of Love, always bring a smile to my face, and a question to my mind.  
Does G still love G or has that arrow pierced another heart?

 

 
 I've been using quotes from famous people in this blog, but realize the longer I live and the more observant I become, I too can muse, perhaps  not  so succinctly or quotably, but still...
Observing trees on this walk, stripped of their seasonal wardrobes...flowers in Spring, green leaves in summer, colorful leaves in fall and now, now  stripped down to their basic structure,  I see how the wind and storms and the other factors bent, twisted and otherwise influenced their shapes.  
 Nothing is left to disguise that.  But and it's a big BUT...how intricate  and beautiful they are stripped down.

 This tree reminds me of me; stripped but still draped with jewelry!!!
 



 
 Thank goodness, latter day parking structures have been nicely disguised.

 Line for Food Closet at St. John's Lutheran Church at 17th and L
Among other things, it reminds  me to be grateful I get to go the the grocery store and select what I want.
I forget sometimes to be thankful for 'choice'.

 Fa La La La La

 
 End of the Line
Thankfully it was a sunny day, although quite cold.  

Natural Pose

 I still dream of getting back to Italy to see houses in these colors, but in the meantime, 
I appreciate that they are also in my neighborhood.








 When the economy significantly improves and the local tax base is greater, we can get back to installing underground utilities.
Admittedly the poles and cables do get in the way of a good shot. 

If trees are a metaphor for life, then they can also show that life can be a big old tangled up mess that could use much pruning.
 But look,  it's still living and reaching upward. 

In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect.  Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they're still beautiful. 
 Alice Walker


 Not every house in the neighborhood is Vintage

 What is the good of your stars and trees, your sunrise and the wind, if they do not enter into our daily lives" 
 E. M. Forster


 I was trying to capture the moss, but got my shadow as well.  This is me with a big jacket, covered by a long all-weather coat, with a canvas bag and purse hanging off my shoulder.  Just saying....I'm not quite that broad or uneven!
 
  

and always....back to Home Sweet Home...


2 comments:

  1. Age has a way of slowing us down and openning our eyes to the beauty that has always been there. We are blessed in ways we would have never guessed 20 years back. Margaret and I enjoyed your professional photography. It just keeps getting better and better. Love you, Margaret & Stan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thank you for the nice comments. I love seeing with that 'third' eye.

      Delete

Anonymous allows you to comment without becoming a followers. In drop down box, Click Anonymous first, then make comments