Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. Tagore

Friday, November 2, 2012

Unintended Consequences of Bullying

I'm reading Anne Lamott's book about writing, Bird by Bird.  I'm going to quote a bit from her introduction to give you the flavor of her writing.

 "I started writing when I was seven or eight.  I was very shy and strange-looking, loved reading above everything else, weighed about forty pounds at the time, and was so tense that I walked around with my shoulders up to my ears, like Richard Nixon.  I saw a home movie once of a birthday party. I went to in the first grade, with all these cute little boys and girls playing together like puppies, and all of a sudden I scuttled across the screen like Prufrock's crab.  I was very clearly the one who was going to grow up to be a serial killer, or keep dozens and dozens of cats.  Instead, I got funny.  I got funny because boys, older boys I didn't even know, would ride by on their bicycles and taunt me about my weird looks.  Each time felt like a drive-by shooting.  I think this is why I walked like Nixon:  I think I was trying to plug my ears with my shoulders, but they wouldn't quite reach.  So first I got funny, then I started to write, although I did not always write funny things.

The first poem I wrote that got any attention was about John Glenn.  The first stanza went,
 "Colonel John Glenn went up to heaven
in his spaceship, Friendship Seven."
 
There were many, many verses.  It was like one of the old English ballads my mother taught us to sing while she played the piano.  Each song had thirty or forty verses, which would leave my males relatives flattened to our couches and armchairs as if by centrifugal force, staring unblinking up at the ceiling.

The teacher read the John Glenn poem to my second-grade class.  It was a great moment; the other children looked at me as though I had learned to drive.  It turned out that the teacher had submitted the poem to a California state schools competition, and it had won some sort of award.  It appeared in a mimeographed collection.  I understood immediately the thrill of seeing oneself in print.  It provides some sort of primal verification; you are in print; therefore you exist.  Who knows what this urge is all about, to appear somewhere outside yourself, instead of feeling stuck inside your muddled but stroboscopic mind, peering out like a little undersea animal - a spiny bleeny, for instance - from inside your tiny cave?  Seeing yourself in print is such as amazing concept; you can get so much attention without having to actually show up somewhere. While others who have something to say or who want to be effectual, like musicians or baseball players or politicians, have to get out there in front of people, writers, who tend to be shy, get to stay home, and still be public.  There are many obvious advantages to this.  You don't have to dress up, for instance, and you can't hear them boo you right away."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous allows you to comment without becoming a followers. In drop down box, Click Anonymous first, then make comments