Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. Tagore

Monday, November 5, 2012

Phone Rings, Heart Stops, Dread....Mashed Potatoes?





My son calls me while
I'm in line at the Stop & Shop
by Kathe L. Palka
and I freeze, transporting tea from the cart
to the conveyer belt, mind racing to places
he might need me, as I answer my cell.
But he's not calling for rescue from the scene
of an accident, a highway wreck or more
natural disaster, rather calling, as if I were
only in the next room. Home early
from school, he's wondering what's
for dinner and after being told, asks if I might
make mashed potatoes instead of rice.
I sigh a little yes, slightly annoyed at his
casualness, but glad to be able to heed the call,
reminded, I'm the one who thinks of this
accessibility as a way to keep the world
at bay, able now to respond anywhere,
yet burdened by availability.
Born into this expanding, more connected
universe, he can't imagine why anyone
would want to be out of reach, my child who
wears new technology like a second skin
and for whom the whole world
is an easy touch away and should be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous allows you to comment without becoming a followers. In drop down box, Click Anonymous first, then make comments