Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. Tagore

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Salinas and Steinbeck

Lunch at Steinbeck's childhood home



 



Salinas as it was when Steinbeck lived here





Steinbeck Center in Downtown Salinas
includes
Steinbeck Museum 
and art depicting Salinas agriculture






Depression and Dust Bowl Migrants 

 

 Camper Steinbeck used when traveling with Charlie

    




Spreckel's Sugar Mill

 Downtown Salinas

 















 

We had time for a Porter's before heading back to the 
train station for my trip back to Sacramento
 



 Chandelier Shadows at pub

Salinas train station




Another wonderful trip
I'll not focus on my 5 hour train ride back to Sacramento
seat mate who reeked of cigarettes and had a very juicy cough

...the less savory side of public transportation!


3 comments:

  1. Liz,
    You find the neatest places to visit! I love the Steinbeck House & Restaurant! And the FOX Movie Theater, the Greyhound Bus Depot, and love the "Mom Cave"!

    When i was a little girl and staying at my Grandpa Johnnie's home in Santa Cruz, he would always take me with him to Salinas to a bakery where he bought apple pies! I always loved going with him! I was looking to find a Bakery in the pictures but didn't see one, however i DID see a Waffle Shop!!!

    What a great trip!!!
    Diane Van
    p.s. I don't know any other way to do this but Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, Anonymous works fine. I just like to know who is writing. I looked closely at the sign to see if the Waffle Shop was your grandfather's. It was a good trip and was also nice to visit with an old friend or maybe I should say, a friend of long standing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to sit on the top step of the Steinbeck boyhood home and watch the rest of the world go by, but your photo journal helps. Now I sit at a computer screen and see the world through your eyes. Thanks Liz.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allows you to comment without becoming a followers. In drop down box, Click Anonymous first, then make comments