Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. Tagore

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Driving to Kilgore - Home of the Rangerettes





 







Kilgore was an oil boom town starting in 1930.
It's now an oil bust town.
 
 Kilgore is in a dry county so at the county line are lots of
liquor stores and dance halls  I don't know if those
two things go together or if dancing is outlawed, as well.

 



 There are derricks every place you look in Kilgore





 
 





 



 Old train station






Lunch at Napolis
 

 Inside restaurant looking out

 Baked Ziti for me

 Stan and Margaret

 
 Lasagne for Margaret
 



 See what I mean?  Oil derricks are everywhere

  Not quite as many churches as derricks
 Methodist

 Episcopal


 Baptist

 Presbyterian

 

 Oil pumps in city park

 Working chili pump

 
Leaving town - back to the taverns and liquor stores




 Tyler, TX skyline.  I liked the sign
Ladies Times Beauty


 This is the most incredible display of wisteria I've ever seen
It is in back of the  now defunct Borden's plant


 
  
 

 
 Goodbye Elsie


 




 
 
 Great outdoor kitchen
to go with this spread






No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous allows you to comment without becoming a followers. In drop down box, Click Anonymous first, then make comments