Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. Tagore

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Of travel and trains and California Agriculture and Beautiful Landscapes

Wednesday morning
Very Early
6:35 Amtrak Coast Starlight
leaves for Salinas




All photos below taken from train window
For several hours I was in the Observation Car
so the window reflections show in the photos,
but that's good, because they are part of the story.


Marina at Jack London Square in Oakland








Gilroy
Garlic Capitol of the World
or at least California 










Engine and sleeper cars 



Observation Car - some tables but the seats where I was sitting are facing the view



I have no shame
I'm sure she'd had a difficult time trying to sleep overnight
and that morning sun shining through must have put her right to sleep







Lest you think all views are pretty, 
let me correct that
All views are "interesting"
Miles and miles of graffiti 
are very common









I see Moss Landing in the distance



What started out as a wharf in 1866 is now a bona fide destination. In addition to a quaint fishing village vibe, the area features several antique shops, art studios, fresh seafood markets and delightful restaurants all within strolling distance of each other. Take a look at a sample Moss Landing itinerary for ideas on how to spend a quiet getaway weekend. 
Jim and I always stopped here for a fish meal when visiting Mom, Dad and Les in Watsonville




At least 4 different crops in this shot
The  nearest - artichokes

My train was on time into Salinas and Mimi was there to greet me
We had a nice lunch at a Mexican Restaurant in Salinas
I'd requested that we "do" Salinas, as for all the times I'd driven through since 1957
I had never stopped to do anything there
http://www.seemonterey.com/regions/salinas/
Mimi lives in beautiful Salinas Valley between the towns of Salinas and Monterey
Enjoyed meeting her friends that evening for drinks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous allows you to comment without becoming a followers. In drop down box, Click Anonymous first, then make comments