Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. Tagore

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Beautiful Day Following a Very Stormy Day

I walked to lab today (2 miles)
Beautiful sunny day
after yesterday when it was raining so hard
I thought I was in the Midwest. It snowed in
Cameron Park (30 miles east)

On the way home after a stop at Starbucks 26th and J Street
I got my liquid energy for the day and
 could again appreciate what a
lovely neighborhood
I live in.


 St. Francis Catholic Church


 First Baptist Church
Friend Betty says,
"my first wedding was there"

 

 Looks like instead of hiring a brick layer, a retired church member decided to make the repairs



 Baptist don't believe in "graven images" or stained glass images I guess.
An organic look is apparently approved


 




 
 I changed my walking route today and saw this Key West style house at 23rd and N.
I'm sure I've passed by it many times, but this is the first time I've SEEN it


 Walking up Capitol Avenue from 23rd to 17th

 I don't recall what kind of church this was originally
Now it's The Center of  Praise

 This camellia is as big as the cottage

 Sidewalk stenciling for non-artistic taggers

 I like the winter shadow patterns




 I lived in this building at 21st and Capitol in 1965-1966
with Zelda and her niece, Gayla.  We didn't have bars on the windows
in those days, nor did the building have a name

 We were surrounded by funeral homes

Gormley and Sons is still in business in the same location
 I like this vintage sign
The sign's shape and font for the words,  "W.F. Gormley and Sons"
looks so cheerful
An interesting choice for a "sorry your mother died" business

 The building looks suitably somber

 Restaurant Row
 Recalling a Sunday afternoon brew and burger here with the Don, Jr., family in approximately 2001.
I've been back a few times since, once with Jackie
We'd been to the Crest Theater for the grossest movie I've ever seen
and walked the 10+ blocks to the Rubicon
I remember the movie, yikes
and the 10 blocks walk.  That's nothing now but way back then, I was huffing and puffing


 Great Garlic (S)mashed Potatoes

 
 Good to Know

 
 Back in the 70's several of these prison like "old folks"
apartment buildings were built in mid-town without any 
consideration for the flavor of  the neighborhood
I wish the city would let mural artist have a go at these
boring building

 The old and the new...all housing, those are lofts in the background

 Zacalo's Mexican restaurant
used to be a car show room in the 40's and 50's


 Paesanos where my nephew, Sean worked in his youth.
He's an arboritist now with his own successful business in Woodland

 
 

 Almost to Grocery Outlet at 17th and Capitol
It was Capitol Market when I lived nearby in the 60's




 I love the porch details


 



 Picket fence and lofts across the street


 Bike racks at Hot Italian

 Dinner

 Tried a  new product
Probably good as a 
delivery system for that yummy looking
topping with tomato and fresh basil
They don't stand alone very well

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous allows you to comment without becoming a followers. In drop down box, Click Anonymous first, then make comments