Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. Tagore

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Technology is Tinkering with My Mind...

 I'm going to ponder an article (excerpt below) by Nicholas Carr and will write about that at a later date. 

"The Internet isn’t going anywhere, but if people value calmer,
more contemplative thought, they need to change the way
they use the technology. The goal should be to clear considerable
portions of your day for working, conversing, thinking
and playing without the mediation (or the interruption) of
screen technologies. Once you start doing that – and I would
emphasize that even modest cutbacks in connectivity are
difficult to pull off – I think you’ll fairly quickly begin to have
a better perspective on the proper role for digital media in
your life. You’ll realize that we often reach for a computer
or a smartphone out of laziness, boredom or habit, and that
resisting that temptation can be healthy, particularly for the
depth of our intellectual and social lives.
If your working memory is constantly overloaded,
you aren't building all the mental connections
between information, experiences and
emotions that are essential to a rich intellect.



2 comments:

  1. Looks like Erica's expression when Mike and I ask a question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. One of my kids when requested to help his dad or me with things computer and we didn't absorb quickly, would look at us with that, "how did you raise two children and actually have a responsible job when you are so dumb". He'd been raised well, so those where unspoken thoughts. Of course, our questions were like, "what does click on mean?"

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allows you to comment without becoming a followers. In drop down box, Click Anonymous first, then make comments