Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. Tagore

Saturday, October 20, 2012

I'm Not Lazy...I'm Resting


Sitting quietly, doing nothing, Spring comes, and the grass grows, by itself. - Basho -

For the last three years since officially retiring from gainful employment; I've been resting.  Some days it seemed like LAZY, and my siblings might insist on using that term to describe me when I was a child.  I'm not, nor have I ever been athletic or of high energy but as my oldest brother, Stan reminds us, "the bible says our very breaths are numbered", so I didn't want to use them up too soon.  That said, I am now feeling the urgency to go forth; be active; lively, and social.  It could just be a seasonal affliction.  However, I want to make the most of it if it's just for a season. 

This past Tuesday I started having massive amounts of dental work done, and that means only pureed or liquified meals for several weeks.  Socializing implies food and drink ( or "refreshing beverages" as a sister-in-law code named drinks with alcohol).  I'm looking through soup recipes for good options to serve guests that I too can eat. Many people seem to enjoy, at least seasonally, a good pumpkin or squash soup, so I'll be off to Safeway today to get the ingredients.  If it turns out good I'll invite my upstairs neighbor for dinner on Sunday night.  If it doesn't, I'll be drinking pumpkin soup next week.  

Here's the recipe I'm trying:



Butternut Squash Soup, seasoned with the zesty flavors of fresh apples and apple brandy, warms and nourishes guests coming in from the brisk autumn weather. 
                             

    •  2 tablespoons butter
    • 1 cup(s) chopped onion
    • 2 1/2 pound(s) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
    • Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
    • 3 cup(s) low-sodium chicken broth
    • 1 1/2 cup(s) apple cider
    • 1/4 cup(s) apple brandy
    • 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
    • teaspoon(s) chopped fresh thyme
    • 1/4 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground pepper


    Directions
    1. Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and apple and sauté for 5 more minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil.
    2. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
    3. In small batches, carefully puree the soup in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.  

     Add a French roll, crisp salad and a glass of medium-bodied, white wine and voila, a meal fit for a guest.  I had to look up a description for white wine, but medium-bodied sounded just right for butternut squash soup.




           Neither my soup, nor my photo...just needed to whit my appetite!
 


















8 comments:

  1. Root veggies make good soup also. And believe it or not you can also make a Rubin soup out of a sandwich that is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Margaret that if she made the above soup she would probably have to share it with the people upstairs. Stan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which is it, the apple brandy or the squishy squash that leaves you unexcited about my soup? Broaden your horizons, son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, Your soup sounds delicious and i can't wait to make it! Never heard of Brandy in soup but will let you know in the next couple of weeks after i try it!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what is it Stan that you don't like about the sound of this soup??? Tell us!
    Yeah Stan "broaden your horizons"!!!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't make the soup. Instead I made another vegetable soup from what I already had in the kitchen. It was delicious. Jen is going to save the innards from her Halloween pumpkins and I'll make soup with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you going to roast the seeds too? I saw a recipe for a pumpkin soup where the roasted the seeds then chopped them to sprinkle on the top as a garnish and for extra texture. It looked very good.

      Delete

Anonymous allows you to comment without becoming a followers. In drop down box, Click Anonymous first, then make comments