Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. Tagore

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Screen Technology Adjustment

Just to be clear, I'm not giving up e-reader(s), iPad, phone, laptop, however, I did give serious thought to the article which was the subject of yesterday's post.

When I was in 4th grade we moved to a rural area in North Texas and had a crank phone on a party line.  So I definitely understand advancements in technology and have no interest in going back to the "good ole days". 




When we'd occasionally go to a cafe and if there was a juke box, that was magical to me  How could  there be a mind that thought that up and made it work?  A hundred or so records in a shiny box and for a nickel, you punched buttons to put in a code; usually a letter and a couple of numbers and just like that it could figure out which record to play and soon a favorite song was playing.  Now I click on Pandora and have 900,000 songs available and I'm not paying a nickel.




I've gotten into the habit of having the TV on, and at my side is laptop, phone, iPad and e-reader, one of them in use at all times.  At 8:15 last night while 'watching' Dancing With the Stars, playing an electronic game, checking news and checking texts, I decided that for the next 45 minutes I would watch TV only; no other electronics, no touching the remote to mute commercials, no jumping up to wash a couple of dishes during commercial breaks.  I was not asking myself to sit quietly for 45 minutes, just to concentrate on only one thing.  Immediately one of my feet started jiggling.  I stopped that, but was aware that my constant use of multiple screen technology was tampering, not only with my mind, but also with my nervous system.  I had to stay conscious, as I would unconsciously reach for a gadget.  I managed to get through the 45 mintues.  I then checked the TV menu, discovering that there was nothing that I wanted to watch until 10:00 and so for one whole hour I turned off the TV.  During that hour I allowed myself to check the news twice and the rest of the time, I read.  I watched TV ONLY from 10 to 11:30, went to bed and slept more restfully than I had in ages.  I had only started 3 hours before to moderate my use of screen technology and could already feel the calming affect to my nervous system.  That could be a fluke, but I doubt it.  I don't know where I'll go with this; probably I'll go online and read more about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous allows you to comment without becoming a followers. In drop down box, Click Anonymous first, then make comments